Name: Canvey Island
Population (Approximate): 39,000 (2011)
Known For: Beaches, chemical industries
What I Did There:
- Enjoyed the beach
- Went fishing for crabs
- Ate fish and chips
- Walked my dog on the seashore
- Collected seashells and sea snail shells
- Avoided hungry seagulls
Trivia, History and Fun Facts:
- The Canvey Island area has been inhabited since at least Roman times.
- The town is known for its seawall, which shields it from high tides.
- The town was greatly flooded during the great North Sea storm of 1953, and again in 2014.
- Canvey Island has a campaign for its independence from the rest of Essex.