In celebration of the release of Steven Universe: The Movie, I’m showing off all the fan art I’ve made for this amazing series! I actually drew these two last year, but the hype surrounding the movie means it’s a perfect time to revisit them.
The mermaid mania continues! This time, it’s a double feature under and above the sea.🧜
It’s better down where it’s wetter, so sings Sebastian in The Little Mermaid, so that’s why I’m starting off under the sea. This was actually based on a sketch I did in my sketchbook during my latest travels in Colombia last Christmas, but obviously with some mermaids and mermen thrown in to connect it with MerMay. As expected, there’s also a great array of marine life, with fish, dolphins, starfish and even sharks (!) swimming happily alongside the mer-people. Resident pirate Oak Island even seems to have hit upon some treasure, his ultimate dream – though he may want to keep it a secret, as it may be cursed…
Even mermaids and mermen need to come up to land every now and then for some rest and relaxation. As underwater, some seaside friends have joined the mer-people above the waves, including dolphins and whales, and even a flying fish. I even cleverly threw in a Little Mermaid reference with Jollimore’s pose on the rock and the waves crashing behind him, as if he wants to be where the (ordinary) people are. Dartmouth doesn’t feel the same, however…
I now have an idea for another MerMay artwork – a parody of the scene in The Little Mermaid where Ariel famously climbs onto a rock with the ocean waves splashing behind, saying “I want to be where the people are”… but Dartmouth, being a teacher in the land world, instead says “I wanna be where those stupid kids aren’t.”
Jollimore’s reply? “Under the sea!” 🌊
’Tis the season to be loving! In celebration of Valentine’s Day, I’ve made a collection of Valentine cards starring the cast of A Nova Scotian Way of Life (ANSWOL). They can be downloaded, printed out and sent to your Valentine, or any loved one!
Love doesn’t just have to be of the romantic kind.
‘Tis the season to be… spooky! 🎃👻💀
Halloween has arrived again, meaning ghouls, ghosts and goblins are all out in full force. Wacky costumes are making the rounds, and no-one’s more ready for it than the cast of A Nova Scotian Way of Life.
I’ve concocted a witch’s brew of terrifying Halloween costumes that are set to make this scary season a memorable one, at least in the province of Nova Scotia. Each costume is connected in some way to their hometowns (with the exception of a few), furthering their purpose as geographical personifications. This work is split into two parts.
- Halifax – Old Clock Tower
- Dartmouth – zombie teacher
- Jollimore – Hawaiian vacationer (inspired by Life is a Beach) 🌺
- Cole Harbour – hockey player (birthplace of the Pittsburgh Penguins’ Syd Crosby) 🏒
- Waverley – jellyfish
- Sambro – Highlander
- Peggy’s Cove – lighthouse
- Lunenburg – Bluenose II
- Mahone Bay – scarecrow (annual scarecrow festival, usually held in September-October)
- Riverport – sea captain
- Bridgewater – lobster 🦞
- Liverpool – witch 🧙🏻♀️
- Lockeport – fish man 🐟
- Yarmouth – lobster (largest lobster fishing grounds in the world 🦞)
- Berwick – apple (apple capital of Nova Scotia 🍎🍏)
- Kentville – jack o’lantern (pumpkin festival 🎃)
- Wolfville – grapevine (wineries 🍇🍷🥂)
- Truro – train station attendant (railway hub 🚂🚆🚉🛤)
- Masstown – lobster 🦞
- Amherst – Esther Cox (the Great Amherst Mystery 👻)
- Springhill – miner (former mining town ⚒⛏)
- Joggins – archaeologist (fossil cliffs 🐚🦖🦕)
- Parrsboro – dinosaur (Fundy Geological Museum 🦖🦕)
- Oxford – blueberry (blueberry capital of Nova Scotia 🍇)
- Pugwash – Captain Pugwash (get it?)
- Tatamagouche – cow (dairy farms 🐄🐮🥛)
- Pictou – Highlander (high Scottish population and heritage 🏴)
- New Glasgow – New Glasgow Nebula, from the Stellarton Starman cartoon and comic series
- Stellarton – Stellarton Starman, of the eponymous series
- Trenton – The Tin Man (steel mills 🔩⚙🔧)
- Westville – Georgie, the boy who is kidnapped by the clown Pennywise in the Stephen King book and movie It
- James River – beaver (because his last name is Beaver Meadow)
- Antigonish – Highland warrior (Highland Games 🏴🏋🏻⛳🏌🏻)
- Arisaig – also a Highland warrior (as above)
- Port Hawkesbury – witch 🧙🏻♀️
- Judique – moose (high population of moose 🦌)
- Campbell – Doesn’t celebrate Halloween, so he just wears his formal outfit
- Lime Hill – Also doesn’t celebrate Halloween, so he just wears his formal outfit.